2014 Arcadia Multis – Meet Information
Thursday-Friday, April 10-11, 2014
Arcadia HS - Arcadia, Calif.
Dear Heptathletes, Decathletes and Coaches,
We are pleased to announce that the seventh annual Arcadia Multis competition will take place on Thursday and Friday, April 10th and 11th of 2014 at Arcadia HS in Southern California, located 17 miles northeast of downtown Los Angeles. As always, the meet will be conducted under a USATF sanction approval.
Since its inception in 2008, the Arcadia Multis has quickly evolved into the premier multi-events competition during the school year. The meet has already achieved two national high school records in the decathlon (Curtis Beach, HSR 7,909 points in 2009; Gunnar Nixon, HSR 7,577 points with international implements in 2011) and holds the distinction as hosting the deepest ever girls high school heptathlon fields for meets held during a school year (12 girls at 4,000+ points in 2010; 10 girls at 4,000+ points in 2013).
The decathlon will be contested for males while the heptathlon will be contested for the females. All events will take place at Arcadia HS. A preliminary meet schedule for each day is listed below. A finalized time schedule (which may change only slightly from the preliminary one) will be posted once the accepted entries are finalized on Monday, March 17th.
All competitors are encouraged to bring their own implements. All implements will be weighed and certified beforehand. Automatic timing will be used for the competition, with each competitor supplied printed results at the conclusion of each day. There will also be an individual with extensive multi-events experience who will be announcing the two-day event.
NEW FOR 2014
- Limited Fields – Due to unprecedented interest in the 2014 meet, we will likely be limiting the entry fields to approximately 18-21 competitors for each competition. This is done to ensure an efficient time schedule that is optimal for all competitors.
- Minimum scoring standards – Minimum point scores will be required in order to register. Athletes not meeting these scores in competition WILL NOT be allowed to register and will not compete. Athletes without an official mark in either the decathlon (w/ javelin) or heptathlon OR without marks in ALL the individual events will not be allowed to register. ALL marks must be independently verifiable and achieved in actual meets (official HS, USATF or AAU meets – no all-comers marks allowed!). The ONLY exception to this is for the javelin (see below).
- Separate minimum mark standard for the javelin – Additionally, a minimum verifiable career-best competition mark in the javelin throw of either 116-00 for boys or 76-04 for girls must be achieved prior to registering for the Arcadia Mults. All-Comers marks in the javelin only will be accepted only from either the UC Berkeley All-Comers (Jan. 18th and Feb. 8th), the Simi Valley All-Comers (Feb. 8th), or any of the LB Poly/Cerritos College All-Comers.
- Dual Shot Put Rings — Two rings will be utilized to facilitate a more efficient time schedule.
- Expanded "Greatest Athlete" Awards – "America's Greatest Athlete" champion cup to overall winner in each gender. Awards to placers 2 through 8 in each gender. "California's Greatest Athete" award to top 2 California placers in each gender. Medals to the athletes with the individual best mark in each of the event disciplines in each gender.
- Later start each day — Competition begins later each morning and is completed by late afternoon.
- Conclusion in front of a larger crowd — Official time schedule has been amended on Friday so that the heptathlon 800 and decathlon 1500 both take place close to the Arcadia Invitational meet schedule.
- On-Line Registration – Done through EPI Sports.com. Registration opens January 19, 2014 at http://arcadiamultis.episports.com/
- Entry Fee – The entry fee of $75 per athlete is due at packet pick-up on meet day. The fee must be paid separately from any team entry fees being paid for the Arcadia Invitational being held on the same weekend.
- Deadline to complete registration — Monday, March 17th @ noon EST, 9 a.m. PST. The meet reserves the right to close entries well before this date if the size and quality of the fields warrant it. (UPDATE ON 3/9): 21 decathlete spots are filled. We may take up to three more that meet the standards. This will be a very strong field. For the heptathletes, 16 spots are now filled. We may take up to two more.
If you have any questions, please email meet director Rich Gonzalez @ ArcadiaInvite@aol.com
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION STANDARDS FOR ENTRY IN 2014:
Automatic Entry based on best actual decathlon score (using javelin): 6,250 points
Automatic entry based on score from accumulation of PRs in each event: 6,400 points
Provisional Entry based on best actual decathlon score (using javelin): 5,550 points
Provisional Entry based on score from accumulation of PRs in each event: 5,700 points
*Note – In making acceptances into the meet, priority will be given to actual decathlon scores. 'Accumulation' scores based on PRs will be assessed a 150-point penalty when compared to actual scores. So a decathlete with an actual score in a decathlon (using the javelin) of 6,100 points will be accepted before an athlete who 'scored' 6,249 points when adding his event PRs together (since 6,249 minus the 150-point penalty = 6,099). Entry spots will be made based on this 'sliding' point scale. A maximum of 21 decathletes will be accepted.
Automatic Entry based on best actual heptathlon score (using javelin): 4,200 points
Automatic entry based on score from accumulation of PRs in each event: 4325 points
Provisional Entry based on best actual heptathlon score (using javelin): 3,700 points
Provisional Entry based on score from accumulation of PRs in each event: 3,825 points
*Note - In making acceptances into the meet, priority will be given to actual heptathlon scores; 'Accumulation' scores based on PRs will be assessed a 125-point penalty when compared to actual scores. So a heptathlete with an actual score in a heptathlon (using the javelin) of 4,000 points will be accepted before an athlete who 'scored' 4,124 points when adding her event PRs together (since 4,124 minus the 125-point penalty = 3,999). Entry spots will be made based on this 'sliding' point scale. An absolute maximum of 21 heptathletes will be accepted.
Since most competitors will be staying locally overnight in between the two competition days, please know that “Restaurant Row” is located less than two miles from Arcadia High School and features many well-known eating establishments. Several hotels are located between 1 to 2 miles from the school and inside "Restaurant Row".
For your convenience, we have arranged special rates at area hotels for the event. Each rate includea freee hot breakfast. Be sure to ask for the "Arcadia Invitational rate" when booking. Please contact either:
Monrovia DoubleTree Hotel - Kristin Pagdilao @ (626) 357-1900 [$129/night]
Monrovia Courtyard Marriott - Kristina Schulz @ (626) 357-5211 [$129] or this link to book direct.
Hampton Inn Arcadia - Earl Queron @ (626) 574-5600 [$119 Sun-Thurs; $99 Fri-Sat]
|DECATHLON – Day 1||START|
|100 Meters (3 heats)||11:30 a.m.|
|Long Jump (2 pits)||12:15 p.m.|
|Shot Put (2 rings)||1:30 p.m.|
|High Jump (2 pits)||2:45 p.m.|
|400 Meters (3 heats)||4:30 p.m.|
|Day 1 of decathlon concludes @ 4:45 p.m.|
|DECATHLON – Day 2||START|
|110m High Hurdles (3 heats)||10:00 a.m.|
|Discus Throw||10:45 a.m.|
|Pole Vault (2 pits)||12:15 p.m.|
|Javelin Throw||3:00 p.m.|
|1500m Run (2 heats)||4:15 p.m.|
|Day 2 of decathlon concludes @ 4:25 p.m.|
|Awards/Group Photo||4:40 p.m.|
|HEPTATHLON – Day 1||START|
|100M Hurdles (3 heats)||12:30 p.m.|
|High Jump (2 pits)||1:15 p.m.|
|Shot Put (2 rings)||2:45 p.m.|
|200 Meters (3 heats)||4:00 p.m.|
|Day 1 of heptathlon concludes @ 4:15 p.m.|
|HEPTATHLON – Day 2||START|
|Long Jump (2 pits)||1:30 p.m.|
|Javelin Throw||2:45 p.m.|
|800m Run (2 heats)||4:00 p.m.|
|Day 2 of heptathlon concludes @ 4:45 p.m.|
|Awards/Group Photo||4:30 p.m.|